Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Greenwashing

Here we are approaching August and I am in need of a pedicure.  I wanted to find a Green Spa for my little tootsies.  A few spas have opened in and around town stating they were green.  I was so excited.  That is until I went to their websites.  Low and behold they use paraffin.  Yes, paraffin.  Now if you are familiar with what it means to be green, you know that green and paraffin wax do not belong together.  It is petroleum based.  Either these business are just jumping on the green bandwagon or they do not understand that being green is a lifetime commitment.  It doesn't just mean you recycle, or you buy some eco-friendly fixtures. 

So what do I consider a green product or a green business?  In a green the ingredients should be as natural as possible. But more importantly they should not contain any ingredients that are harmful to us or to the planet. Secondly, the packaging should be recyclable using glass or safe plastic.  If it is in a box the box should be made from recycled paper.  A spa or any business shouldn’t go green just because it’s popular. They have to believe in what they are doing, and if they don't know they should educate themselves or hire an environmental consultant.
.
 All products used should be either green as just described; the furnishings should be from eco-friendly materials such as bamboo, cork, salvaged or from some sustainable source.  All stationery and paper goods should be from recycled paper and using soy ink.  Light should be compact fluorescent. It can be taken even further by choosing a wind powered electric company, filtered water and air.  I think you get my drift.  

So until I find a truly green spa these feet will have to wait.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment