Saturday, July 28, 2012

More thoughts on Summer

I'm not really a summer person, at least not where I live.  As I mentioned in an earlier post it is very hot and humid here.  I used to love summers when I lived in upstate New York.  I had an amazing organic vegetable garden and a beautiful flower garden. Not in this city; I feel I am always fighting a losing battle between the heat, drought and bugs.  But one of the things I do love about summer is the fruits and vegetables.  Peaches, plums, berries, melons and of course tomatoes.  So instead of trying to win a losing battle, several years ago I embraced the local Farmer's Market.  I head over early Sat. mornings before going to work.   I particularly love this market.  It is held in a parking lot that they close off for a few hours but they have planted beautiful flowers all around.  There are musicians serenading us along with delicious smells of people cooking Thai food, Indian, Ethiopian and good ole Biscuits with different toppings.  I have my favorite stands of organic veggies and fruits and a local bakery where I treat myself to a scone to take to work with me.  Peaches are plentiful right now and today I purchased some and I am about to bake my husband's favorite peach dessert.  A crust that is more shortbread like than pie or cake, topped with peaches and baked to a bubbling sweetness.  I also purchased some heirloom tomatoes and I'm thinking of using that same crust but making it savory with some rosemary and topping with the tomatoes and some caramelized onions and a little cheese.

What are your favorite summer fruits and vegetables? 

No comments:

Post a Comment